Everyone likes to accompany lunch, dinner or meetings with a good glass of wine, but it is not always easy to choose the best wine for any occasion.
The first thing to know is that there are not two wines exactly the same. Flavor, aroma, texture and body should also be considered to choose a wine. However, there are also other important variables such as climate, occasion and location. All these variables affect the perfect harmony of a wine and food pairing.
Here are a few guidelines to help you choose the right wine for the right occasion. The first step is to select the right type of wine, that is, opt for a red, white, rosé or a sparkling wine.
The best wine for a large meal
- We must choose a sparkling wine for the appetizer or if the main dish is fish, seafood, pasta, vegetables or rice with soft sauces.
- There is another option if we are eating fish. For this occasion we should choose dry and fruity white wine, especially if fish is cooked in the oven. This type of white wine is also perfect to be accompanied with goat cheese and fresh cheese.
- Fish like trout or swordfish would be more advisable with white wine aged in barrel. Also, this wine is the perfect pairing for an appetizer with pate.
- Rosé wines combine perfectly with sausage like salami, bologna or ham. Rosé wine is also a good choice if we eat white meat, poultry or stuffed pasta.
- Young red wines are the accompaniment for legumes like beans, lentils, beans or any other legumes. Also they combine perfectly with stewed meats, red meat, fatty fishes or cured cheeses.
- On the other hand, we must opt for an aged red wine if we eat red meat, roasts and strong cheeses
- We must reserve Sparkling wines, either sweet or aromatic, for dessert or sweet moments.
The best wine for lunch
- We must choose a white wine if we eat raw seafood, vegetables or fish during lunch.
- On the other hand, it is recommended to choose an aromatic and old wine if we are going to have rice , pasta or soft cheeses like goat or fresh cheese for lunch.
- Sparkling wine is better for a lunch with white meat, semi-hard cheeses and truffles.
- It is advisable to opt for red wine if you are going to have a large lunch.
The best wine for dessert
The best option is always sparkling or white wine which are sweet and very aromatic. This type of wines also fit good together with small meals like salads and fruit plates.